Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wash, rince, repeat...

As a single mom to 4 kids, I am always running. Getting the kids ready for school, "did everyone brush their hair? Get back in here baby and put your boots on! There is snow outside!!" ; House work (loads of laundry, dishes, pet maintenance... budget planning, finding pennies for groceries...); Picking up the kids from school for Dr.'s apointments (Yes, you're getting your flu shot this year, if you hadn't been running IN the house you wouldn't have that goose egg on your head...); Constant head count (un, deux, trois, quatre...); Super in there somewhere... Did I forget something? Oh! Yes! Homework (times 4, good reading, look it up in the dictionary, who had the dictionary last? Where are all the pencils? Don't write too hard, someone broke the pencil sharpener...); Getting ready for bed (pyjamas? teeth? Who needs a shower? No it's not time to go outside, I know it's snowing... Did someone take the dog out for his business? Did the dog get supper? Is your clothes ready for tomorrow morning? Night night! Kiss, kiss... Did you remember to go pee before bed?) ....

Somewhere in there I get some sleep. I pay some bills. I eat. I dream of adult companionship beyond that of my parents and elderly relatives. I pray for a job. I sing in the choir. I go to mass. I say a prayer or two.

Then I do it all over again the next day.

Somedays, I'll admit, are a little rough around the edges. Most days though I get it done with healthy doses of love and compassion.

Isn't God wonderous? Yes He is.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I've often said that the toughest job in the world is being a single parent - God IS good - hang in there.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Kalynne Pudner said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Johane, to show your solidarity! I love the gentle, joyful, grace-filled tone to your blog...heading up a household of five females, I'd surely go loony.

God bless you!

(p.s. All that food on your other blog sounds divine; I've considered it dangerous to my diet, so I'll just be visiting this one instead, haha.)